Newcastle United midfielder Henri Saivet expressed his pleasure at the opportunity of playing alongside Robinho at Turkish club Sivasspor. The 27-year-old had been of interest to the likes of Montpellier and Troyes from Ligue 1, but he opted to pursue a fresh challenge in Turkey with Sivasspor on loan.
The Super Lig outfit are said to have agreed on a clause in the Senegalese’s contract, which could potentially make his contract permanent at the end of the season. In a report covered by Fotomac, he said: “This is the first time I have been to Turkey. I am very happy. For me Robinho is a brilliant player. I am pleased to have a chance to play alongside him. I want our fans to support us and hopefully I can play good in the future.”
Brazil international Robinho has been found guilty of taking part in a gang rape of a woman whilst he was still playing for AC Milan in 2013. The 33-year-old alongside five other Brazilians have been sentenced to nine years in jail after they assaulted an Albanian woman under the influence of alcohol in a nightclub. Robinho, who has exactly 100 caps for his national side, did not appear in court for the ruling, but he has pleaded his innocence via his lawyer. As a result, the sentence is likely to be put on hold until the process of the appeal is finalised.
Meanwhile, a post on Robinho’s Instagram page said that he had already defended himself and all actions are being taken to resolve the situation, the statement read: “On the news involving the forward Robinho, relating to events of a few years ago, we would like to clarify that he already defended himself from the accusations, saying he had no involvement with the episode.”
Brazil national team boss Tite claims that he is expecting more from Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino, who is now firmly established as one of the first team players in the absence of Robinho.
However, the Liverpool striker has been struggling in front of goal and he was especially poor in the draw with Colombia. This was a poor result for Brazil as it meant that the national team has allowed Uruguay to close the deficit down to 10 points. Even though the team will still be qualifying quite comfortably for the World Cup 2018, Tite is very keen on finishing at the top of the qualification group.
The national team will have a chance to return to winning ways when they take on Bolivia, who are one of the weakest teams in the division in October followed by another qualification match against Chile. It will be a period of experimentation for Tite in both these matches, as Brazil will retain the top spot irrespective of the result in these two games. Read More
Juventus head coach Max Allegri admitted that Lionel Messi was simply unstoppable during his side’s 3-0 Champions League loss to Barcelona on Tuesday night. The Argentine has been in outstanding form for Barca of late, and he took his tally to seven goals in his last three outings for the club.
Messi bagged an impressive hat-trick in the 5-0 thumping of Espanyol in the Spanish La Liga last weekend, and he managed to follow it up with a brace against Juventus, who offered him too much space with the ball. Read More
Former Manchester City player acquisition head Mike Rigg says that the era of inflated transfer fees began with Robinho’s move to the Etihad stadium in 2008.
Up until then, the transfer fees for players were relatively low with the best players costing in the region of £ 25 million. Zidane held the world record with his £ 45 million move from Juventus to Real Madrid, but this stood for several years. Now, the world record transfer fee has been broken with alarming consistency. Last year, it was the turn of Manchester United to break the record with the signing of Paul Pogba for £ 90 million while PSG have taken the figure to an astronomical sum after signing Neymar from Barcelona for € 222 million.
Rigg believes thatRobinho’s £ 32 million move to Manchester City in the summer of 2008 started a huge a cycle of expenditure, which even saw the introduction of the financial fair play regulations from UEFA. Upon the introduction of strict rules with regard to expenditure, there was a slow pace in the movement of the transfer fees. Read More
Former Premier League players Jo said the size of the players in the league surprised him when he moved to Manchester City from Corinthians in 2008.
The Selecao star said it was not easy for him and compatriot Robinho who moved from Real Madrid.
Jo revealed that Robinho was “terrified” when he had to play Portsmouth. The Brazilian star had scored on his debut against Chelsea but he was awed by the size of players he was to face that day. Players like Sylvain Distin, Sol Campbell, Peter Crouch and the rest.
“’Jo, what the hell, are we going to play; football or rugby? Look at the size of these guys!’ I laughed and said: Robinho, welcome to the Premier League. And it gets worse!” Jo said.
The game subsequently ended in City’s favour 6:0. Robinho even scored a goal and had three assists. Robinho agreed to the move to the Etihad around the takeover by Sheikh Mansour. Jo had moved for club record of £20 million but Robinho costs £12.5 million more. However, both players did not last long as they failed to live up to the hype. Read More